“Know that the cockeyed definition of motherhood to which most of us are trying to measure up, makes it very hard to love being a mom. Only when you begin to write your own definition of great mothering, embracing the contradictions within, will you truly feel at home in your new life” - Mary Stark (2006)
This excellent article and the above quote made me think about what it means to me to be a mother. It helped me to put together my own definition of what a great mother would be like and also try to create a definition that felt realistic and achievable to me.
- Love unconditionally
- Allow yourself to be loved
- Have fun, sing, laugh, play
- Let your children guide and lead you
- Come down to your children’s love
- Stop saying NO all the time
- Be honest
- Value and honour yourself as a mother
- Allow yourself to make mistakes and when you do to start again.
What would you add to this list?